- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Explore Midtown
- Live Here
- Midtown Viaducts
Best Bets for Parking at Noel Night:
Each year at Noel Night, we experience traffic gridlock in the Midtown district—resulting in 1 hour + delays for visitors in their pursuit to find parking. This year will be no different. Due to M-1 Rail construction and that Wayne State University will be hosting 3 different graduation ceremonies throughout the day and evening on Noel Night, we encourage everyone to arrive at least 2 hours early. Wayne State University Police will be out assisting with traffic control this year; however, we want to ensure that each visitor has the best experience possible during the short five hours of this amazing event. Please take the following recommendations into consideration:
1. ARRIVE EARLY. This includes for parking and the performance that you want to see. In some instances, this may mean 2 hours early.
2. ENTER MIDTOWN FROM THE I-75 MACK AVENUE EXIT. Due to M-1 Rail construction, Woodward Avenue is down to 3 lanes of traffic, and East Warren Avenue (between Woodward and John R) may also still be down to 1 lane of traffic on Noel Night. Woodward will also be closed between Palmer and Warren Avenue due to Noel Night.
For the most up-to-date MI Rail construction updates, go HERE.
3. PREPARE TO WALK. It is better to park in one of the structures on the outskirts of the event footprint and walk towards Woodward Avenue—a 10-15 minute walk is better than being stuck in traffic for 1 hour or more. Not only will you get a good workout, but you will also be able to access the highways quicker on departure, rather than if you parked in the heart of the district. Make sure to also dress warm and in layers.
4. PARKING COSTS $. Unless you're one of the lucky ones and have a complimentary parking pass or find free parking on the streets (a rarity!), please be prepared to pay anywhere between $5-10 for parking in the structures. Those parking structures closest to the Detroit Institute of Arts generally charge $10. Please see our recommendations below for best places to park.
5. PARKING TICKETS ARE NOW $45. It’s best to just avoid this situation. Park only in parking structures or lots that are well marked and secured, or on streets that have signage that clearly indicate the rules for parking there.
Recommended Parking Structures & Lots:
WSU Parking Structure 8 - Located on Forest between Cass and Woodward ($)
WSU Parking Structure 1 - Located at Cass and Palmer | 450 W. Palmer ($)
WSU Parking Structure 6 - Located at Cass and Putnam | 61 Putnam ($)
WSU Parking Lot 60 - 4710 Second ($)
Woodward Gardens South Parking Structure - Located behind the Garden Theater and is accessed on W. Alexandrine Street between Woodward and Cass ($).
WSU Parking Structure 7 - Located at Mack Avenue between Woodward and John R ($)
South Midtown Parking - 3408 Woodward | FREE parking courtesy of Michigan State University - Detroit Center
Avoid Parking in these Areas:
WSU Parking Structure 3 - 45 E. Warren ($)
The Cultural Center Parking Lot - Located on John R directly behind the Detroit Institute of Arts ($)